Skip to content
Refelting a Shed Roof project
Hints and Tips:
- Always wear gloves and goggles or similar eye protection when refelting a roof.
- Once the old nails and felt are removed, check for old or rotten timbers and replace as necessary.
- Reapply wood preservative to exposed timbers.
- Cut one or more pieces of felt to cover the roof area, allowing a minimum of 2 inches (50mm) overhang on either end and nail along the ridge end.
- Cut a smaller strip for the ridge-capping piece and secure with clout nails or waterproof with mastic sealer.
- Finish off by nailing the overhanging edges down to secure the felting.
For further information see Good Idea Leaflet 64