Embed this image on your site:
ENERGY SAVING TIPS - RUNNING AN ECO FRIENDLY HOME
Reducing energy usage around the home will save you money and help the planet too. Reducing energy has not got to be complicated or hard work. Here is a look at various ways it can be achieved.
- A hot shower uses 20% the energy of a hot bath.
- Turn off the tap when you brush your teeth and.... save 7-12 litres of water per minute.
- Fixing a dripping hot water tap... saves enough hot water in one week to fill 1/2 a bath.
- South facing solar water heating panels generate up to 60% of your hot water needs.
- Sun-pipes are an innovative way to pipe natural daylight from the rooftop into a home.
- If everyone insulated their loft... 520 months in bills would be saved in one year.
- Did you know? If everyone in the UK installed 270mm loft insulation, we could save around 520 Million and nearly 3 million tonnes of C02 ever year. That's enough to fill Wembley Stadium nearly 380 times.
- Water tank and pipe insulation keeps water hotter for longer by reducing the amount of heat that escapes.
- Use a full load in your washing machine. A half load setting can use more than half the energy of a full load.
- A+ Rated washing machines, fridges and freezers use... 50% less energy than much older machines.
- Only boil as much water as you need. If everyone in the UK did this we could... Save enough electricity in a year to power our street lights for 2 months.
- Draught excluders, around the front door and over the letter box and key holes retain heat.
- If everyone opted out of junk mail... 3.5 million trees could be saved.
- Draught proof leaky window frames.
- Cavity wall insulation can reduce heat loss by 33%.
- Double glazing can reduce heat loss by 33%.
- Don't leave mobile phones charging all night.
- In winter set the heating so that it comes on an hour before you get up, rather than leave it on all night.
- Below the surface of a garden the temperature is a constant 10C. By installing pipes and a heat pump the temperature of the water is raised enough to power under floor heating. 'Payback' time is around 10 years.
- Turn down the thermostat
- Reducing room temperature by 1C can cut heating bills by 10%.
- Reflective foil behind radiators.
- Half the heat from the radiators goes out the back and gets wasted.
- Lights turned off when not in room.
- Use energy saving light bulbs.
- Turning off appliances rather than leaving them on standby... 6 - 10% in electricity saved.