Mercia installation service
- Fully trained, expert fitters
- Safe construction to the highest standard
- Hassle free process; sit back and let Mercia do the hard work
- Clean up and removal of all packaging
What to expect
- Once you have made your purchase, Mercia will be in touch via email or post to arrange delivery and installation.
- Installation is arranged with Mercia and typically takes place two days after delivery to ensure you are 100% satisfied with your purchase.
- The installation team will move the building from the delivery location into the installation position.
- The team will build and install your new building safely and to the highest standard.
What is required from you
- Easy access to the installation location
Please make sure there is adequate access to the build site without the need to go through your house, garage or neighbouring property.
- At least 60cm around the building site
The installation team require approximately 60cm (2 feet) around all sides of the site of the building to allow for safe access.
- A firm and level base
In order to have a long lasting building, you must ensure there is also a level base ready for the building to sit on. This can be concrete, slabs, or a pressure treated wooden frame and must be no bigger than the size of the building.
- Treat your building after the installation
Once your garden building has been installed it will need to be treated as soon as possible with paint, preserver, stain or oil. This will need to be repeated annually to prevent the timber from deteriorating and to waterproof it.
Shire installation service
Shire have been producing garden buildings since 1981. All Shire products are manufactured in the United Kingdom to the highest standards using quality materials from sustainable sources.
Shire want you to enjoy your new garden building for years to come and are dedicated to providing quality installation and craftsmanship.
What to expect
- Once you have purchased a Shire building with an installation service, you will receive an email from Shire explaining the next steps.
- You will be required to create the base for the building in your garden and provide images to Shire for approval.
- Once your base has been approved Shire will arrange a delivery and an installation date with you.
- Shire installation teams use 7.5 tonne lorries and they need to be able to access the property with the vehicle.
What is required from you
- You will need to build a base for the building in your garden ahead of the installation. Further details on base requirements are below.
- Clear access to the site is required by the installation team, which cannot be through the property or over walls or fences.
- The installation team will need to get all around the building during fitting, so please ensure there is at least 18" or 450mm clearance all around it and that there are no overhead obstructions such as low branches. View all garden pruners.
- Parking will be required outside the property for the duration of the installation, potentially for a vehicle the size of a dustbin wagon.
Building your base
- All four sides of the base must have a minimum clearance of 18 inches.
- The size of the base and minimum height clearance will be based on the size of the building you are erecting. Shire will confirm these measurements for you.
- The base must be of solid construction, ideally concrete over a hardcore foundation and must be flat and level.
- Once your base is built you will be required to send images to Shire for approval.
Forest installation service
If building and DIY isn't your thing, Forest offer an installation service on a range of their garden buildings. Their assembly service means your new purchase is in safe hands and you can leave all the hard work and heavy lifting to the experts.
What to expect
- Once you have made a purchase through Wickes, Forest will be in touch to arrange a delivery and installation date.
- For most products, installation is typically within 7 days of delivery and will be arranged with you.
- Depending on the product you have ordered, it will either be installed by the Forest fitting teams or their trusted partners – Servico.
- You will be required to build the base for your structure ahead of installation.
Building a base for installation
- Preparing your base
Forest buildings need to be installed on a pre-prepared level base with no slopes. Buildings cannot be installed on grass, soil, loose gravel or other loose material surfaces.
- The importance of a level base
Any base that has a slope larger than 15mm from edge to edge will cause twisting, creating gaps in the sections and the roof, doors & windows.
To check that your base is level, place a straight edged piece of timber across the length of the base and place a spirit level on top of the timber near the centre. The bubble in the spirit level should sit comfortably within the 2 centre lines. Repeat the process across the width of the base.
- Suitable bases
CONCRETE: By far the best material for any size base to be constructed from. A concrete base should ideally sit on a good dressing of sharp sand and hardcore to allow for adequate drainage of rainwater
CONCRETE SLABS: Concrete slabs are the next best alternative to a concrete base. The slabs should be laid in such a way to form a continuous base with no large gaps between each slab. As with a concrete base, a concrete slab base should ideally sit on a good dressing of sharp sand and hardcore to allow for adequate drainage of rainwater.
View all concrete slabs.
View all sharp sand.
The day of installation - please make sure:
- All vegetation is cut back prior to the installers arriving to allow for a successful build.
- You have requested permission from your neighbours for our assembly team’s access, if required.
- There is suitable access to the installation site without having to enter your property.
- There are adequate parking facilities for the assembly team’s vehicle and any necessary parking permits have been secured.
- There is access to power at the site (our installation teams carry extension cables).
- There is someone at the property for the entire time of the installation.