The best ways to prepare for decking
When it comes to your decking project, preparing correctly is half the battle. Planning properly is the easiest way to make sure that you get the job done right and achievable the best possible results.
Decide on your location
- Start by picking where you want to build your deck.
- It’s important to consider where the sun falls in your garden, especially during the Summer. Direct exposure to sunlight creates the perfect spot for sunbathing, but also runs the risk of fading timber if that’s your chosen material.
- Heavily shaded areas should be avoided if possible as they will require more maintenance. Damp areas should be avoided completely.
Planning your deck
- Make sure to carefully plan out your deck design. This will help to keep cutting wastage to a minimum.
- Factor gaps of 5-8mm between deck boards into your plans.
- It must be 150mm below the damp proof course if you’re building your deck next to your house. It’s also important that you don’t cover any air bricks.
Prepare your foundation
- An existing patio, paved area or other concrete base provides a great foundation for your deck.
- If you’re laying it over your lawn, you’ll need to dig it out to a depth of 50mm and then cover it with landscaping fabric, before adding gravel to hold it in place and prevent weed growth.